Subscribe to RSS feed

«

»

What You Need To Know About Water Damage and Mold

Ceiling mold
Creative Commons License photo credit: Vagabond Shutterbug

Mold is everywhere. It is a necessary part of nature – the great recyclers of organic waste. Without it, new growth wouldn’t happen. However, it is something we want to keep outside, not growing in our homes.

Mold releases spores into the air. If they happen to land on organic matter, it’s the right temperature, and there is water, the mold will germinate. It does not care if it is in the woods or in our homes – it has a job to do and that is all it cares about.

Not all mold is toxic or poisonous. There has been a lot in the media about toxic black mold, but technically, unless it secretes mycotoxins, it is not considered toxic. And not all mycotoxins are bad, after all, penicillin is a mycotoxin. But whether you have regular black mold growing in your house, or toxic black mold, you want to get rid of it as quickly as possible. It is not only unsightly, but can lead to several health problems in people with mold sensitivities.

To remove mold from your home, you must first fix the water source. The source of the water could be something obvious, like a busted water pipe that caused flooding, and subsequently, carpet water damage. Or it could be high humidity in your house, something common in the south. Another source of water can be condensation on pipes and windows, which many times leads to drywall water damage. All of these sources are enough for mold to start populating your house.

After the source of water is repaired, then you can get to the actual removing of the mold. If it is a small area, it is something you can do yourself. Completely cover your body, including a N95 respirator, goggles, and gloves, to keep as much of the mold spores off and out of your body as possible. If it is a large area, you are best hiring a professional mold remediation company as you need to contain the area as well.

Removing mold is rather simple. It is easiest if it is moist. Dampen the mold and wipe off with a sponge. Put the mold in a plastic bag and dispose of it. Completely wipe down the area. If you really did fix the water source, mold will not come back – it does not have the water it needs to survive.

Removing mold in your home is not only essential for appearances, but also for health problems that can arise, especially for people with mold sensitivities and babies with immature immune systems. Keep on the lookout for mold growth in your home, fix the water problem, and remove it as soon as possible.